Saturday, February 15, 2014

Gamification: How to Start

This week I spent some time going through the first archived and the most recent chats for #levelupED. I went in to this with a list of questions in my head and came out with some answers and the basis for a plan to get my classes gamified. Both chats that I reviewed were about getting started with Gamification. What was interesting was how some of the comments made by the participants changed since September. It was refreshing to see people using this in their classes and still having the system evolve over the course of a school year.

There were very good questions asked in both chats I reviewed and I think the best way for me to get the ball rolling is to use those questions to develop my plan for the rest of the year.

Here is my version of a "How to Start a Gamified Classroom Questionnaire." (These questions are taken directly from the chats. I thought they were all great starting points so I combined them into one list.) I need to spend time thinking about my answers to all of these questions, but the tweets I've attached are helpful hints that I feel will guide me in the right direction.


How to Start a Gamified Classroom Questionnaire


1. How do you define gamification in your classroom? What classifies a class as being gamified?

2. Do you think gamification is more using games to teach content or designing game elements in your instruction?


3. What benefits have you seen/ do you think you would see from gamifying your class?


4. What do you think is the first and most important step towards starting a gamified class?


5. You’ve come up w/ learning objectives. Now what themes/ideas/challenges can you use to build the game portion of your class?

6. Now that you have a theme, what gaming elements do you think are important to include in your classroom?



7. Will your game be individual or team based?  If you group, how do you plan on forming them?


8. Is there any good tech out there you are using to help gamify your class? Where are you going to build your game? (LMS, on paper, visual in classroom, etc.)



9. How will the grading work within the game structure?



Once I get this started in my classroom, I'm sure these additional questions will come in handy:
  • How will you incorporate the addictive quality of games (easy/challenges/achievements) into your game to motivate students?
  • What challenges have you faced when trying to introduce game play in your class? How did you over come them?
If anyone has a gamified classroom and has some insight into these questions, please let me know. I'm hoping that I can use this to get my game structure built and usuable in the next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment